I PAID AN ATTORNEY MONEY TO START A BANKRUPTCY CASE AND HE JUST HANDED FORMS TO ME. HE NEVER GETS BACK TO ME AND I NEED HELP. CAN YOU ADVISE ME?
The new bankruptcy petitions have a lot of information to fill out which are not easy to understand. Thus, at TAIEBLAW, we would never expect the common layperson to understand how to fill out all the documents.
It is always the client’s job to be HONEST and disclose all assets and liabilities, but it is improper for the lawyer to just throw paperwork at the client without explaining it. The only exception is that the client can and should provide any additional bills that were not included in the credit report to make sure that all the creditors get proper notice. At TAIEBLAW, we will always attempt to order a credit report for our clients who cannot provide one.
Please note that bankruptcy is definitely available to help you if you are overwhelmed with debt but it is your responsibility to provide the following documents:
1) If you own real estate, we need to see a deed, market analysis, and balance due and owing on the mortgage.
2) Proof of homeowners insurance and automobile insurance. Please provide the declaration page.
3) Bank statements for the last 6 months for all bank accounts.
4) Paystubs of any other source of income for the last 6 months, plus proof of any other income.
5) If someone helps you each month, you need a contribution affidavit.
6) If you are in business you need a profit & loss and business questionnaire if you are in a Chapter 13.
7) Any information regarding a lawsuit you are pursuing or a potential claim.
Depending on which trustee your get, additional documents may be required.
However, Mr. Taieb will do the forms on the petition to make sure it is done correctly.
If you have any questions concerning this matter or any other matter contact TAIEBLAW at 856-235-4994.
Steven N. Taieb, Esq. is here to help you and is a South Jersey Bankruptcy Attorney who has helped over 7000 people with their financial problems for the past 33 years and is board certified in consumer bankruptcy law by The American Board of Certification which is accredited by The American Bar Association.
We are more than happy to discuss all your options and to see if bankruptcy is the best option for you.